11 Reasons to Choose Grass-Fed Whey Protein
If you decide to add whey protein to your diet because of its many health benefits, you’ll want to check out these top 11 reasons to make sure the product you select is sourced from grass-fed cows:
1. Lower risk of heavy metals: Conventional whey proteins are exposed to harsh chemical solvents during a process called denaturing which uses high heat to separate the proteins from the whey. Consuming whey that was processed in this manner can lead to heavy metal poisoning in your body. But if the manufacturer is making the effort to seek out high quality grass-fed dairy, it’s a safe bet they are also using a responsible method for denaturing the whey that removes heavy metals while protecting the proteins.
2. No antibiotics: Excessive antibiotic use in livestock feed has led to the development of antibiotic-resistant pathogens, which pose huge issues in treating serious bacterial infections in humans. But grass-fed cows are not given conventional cattle feed pumped full of antibiotics and other questionable ingredients, and are therefore less likely to be a health threat.
3. No growth hormones: The use of hormones in conventionally raised cattle is intended to produce a bigger cow, faster, with lots more milk; and it makes the cows more susceptible to illness. That’s the opposite of a holistic approach to nutrition like grass feeding, which lowers your risk of side effects from ingesting controversial chemicals and hormones.
4. Higher in vital nutrients: Nutrients, like the important minerals calcium, phosphorous, magnesium and potassium, can be depleted in dairy that comes from cows fed an unnatural diet as already mentioned above. Grass-fed whey contains many more of these natural, vital nutrients that are essential to good health.
5. Complete amino acid profile: When cows are allowed to graze on their natural diet of grass, they produce higher quality milk that’s rich in the eight essential amino acids the human body needs to produce a complete human protein molecule. This is what helps build lean muscle mass, and boost the skin’s collagen production.
6. Higher levels of CLA: Cows fed a natural diet helps them produce the super important healthy trans fat. CLA (Conjugated linoleic acid). that studies have shown may help reduce some of that nasty tummy fat. CLA has also been shown to have potent anti-cancer properties.
7. Superior healing benefits: Whey is not just used to build muscle – - it’s also important for detoxification, absorption of nutrients, and growth of healthy intestinal flora. In addition, high quality whey made from grass-fed cows is more effective at providing these super important health benefits.
8. No GMOs!: A cow fed its natural diet of grass and hay means she’s not eating soy and corn – - which are most often genetically modified. GMO corn and soy contain harmful pesticides inserted into the seed’s genome, and require the use of lots of pesticides that have been linked to a number of serious health issues.
9. More humane: Eating foods that come from animals that live in dark, crowded and unsanitary conditions is not healthy or natural for the animal. Thus, the whey produced from these animals is inferior and not as healthy for your body, or your spirit. Knowing that the whey product you’re using came from happy cows grazing outdoors makes a huge difference in the quality of the product, your experience, and most certainly in the cows!
10. Healthier for the environment: Methane is one of the biggest contributors of greenhouse gases that are linked to climate change.
A grass-fed cow will produce significantly less methane than one forced to eat an unnatural diet of corn and soy.
11. Superior Delicious Flavor & Texture: And grass-fed whey is going to taste cleaner, sweeter and smoother than the conventional alternative. Just try it for yourself! image: Ed.ward