Have you tried alfalfa grass? Usually found in a powdered or supplement form, you may be wondering why so many people turn to this unusual source of greens when so many fresh leafy greens are readily available at supermarkets and farmers markets.
It’s no secret that the modern diet isn’t as healthy as it could be. Even people who eat clean and avoid highly processed foods face nutrition deficit risks mainly due to the poorer soil quality that has decreased the amount of minerals once abundant in our food.
Alfalfa grass is an excellent option in providing your body with whole food sources of vitamins and minerals, which is why it's a key ingredient in our mustHave greens. Here are just some of the more notable benefits of alfalfa.
1. Minerals and amino acids: Alfalfa’s deep roots shoot 20-30 feet into the earth where minerals are generally more abundant. This brings up nutrients from the earth including 8 essential amino acids, 25 percent of the RDA for manganese, 10 percent of the RDA for calcium, 19 percent of the RDA for iron and 6 percent of the RDA for potassium—all in just one serving!
2. Vitamins: Alfalfa grass is abundant in important vitamins, too, including K (113 percent of the RDA) and more than four times the vitamin C than citrus!
3. Antioxidants: Alfalfa ranks as containing the highest level of antioxidants of any fruit or vegetable. Antioxidants protect the body’s cells from some diseases, can improve overall health and even keep you looking younger.
4. Lutein: A well-known benefit to the eyes found in a number of plant foods, lutein is important in the prevention of macular degeneration.
5. Blood cleansing: Who doesn’t want “clean” blood? Over time, and especially on an unhealthy diet, toxins can build up in the body, particularly in the blood as it carries nutrients to all parts of the body and moves toxins away for elimination. Alfalfa’s rich chlorophyll content (which is essentially plant blood) aids the body in removing the toxins, leaving healthy nutrients behind.
Image: Jigme Datse
Comments will be approved before showing up.